University of Iowa receives flood recovery funds - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

University of Iowa receives flood recovery funds

IOWA CITY (NEWS RELEASE) - Governor Chet Culver today announced that nearly $1.4 million in federal and state funds has been identified and is in final approval for disaster recovery efforts at the University of Iowa. These funds are part of the effort to help rebuild infrastructure following the historic floods of 2008.

"More than seven months have passed since the floods of 2008, and our state has made remarkable progress recovering from this disaster," said Governor Culver. "No where is that progress more evident than the University of Iowa, but as I saw yesterday, there is still work to do.  These funds are one more step forward in the University's recovery efforts and I look forward to working with the University Community and all Iowans to rebuild this state stronger and better than before." 

The announcement comes one day after Governor Culver visited the University of Iowa campus and met with University leaders - as well as officials from Iowa City, Coralville, and Johnson County - on their disaster recovery efforts.  During the visit, the Governor signed a proclamation declaring March 'Flood Awareness Month' in Iowa.

"The University of Iowa is the lifeblood of the community. The dedicated staff, professors, and students deserve our full support as they continue their commitment to academic excellence and cutting edge research," said Congressman Loebsack. "The University is still recovering from the damage of last summer's floods, and these funds will aid their efforts to restore and rebuild. I will continue my ongoing work in Washington to bring funds and relief back to Iowa as we continue to repair our communities, businesses, schools, and roads."

"We at The University of Iowa thank Governor Culver, Representative Loebsack, and all of our representatives who have shown their unflagging support of our flood recovery efforts.  As we continue rebuilding the campus, our top priority remains providing a high-quality, accessible education to Iowans and all those who wish to attend the UI, as well as groundbreaking research and dedicated service.   We still have a long way to go toward full recovery, but these funds help us move forward.  We extend our deepest gratitude." 

The University of Iowa was awarded $1,385,350 to lease a temporary boiler system while long term power restoration plans continue. FEMA funds will cover 90% of the cost and the University will be responsible for the remaining 10%. 

This project is part of an expected 10,600 projects that will be identified under the State/FEMA Public Assistance program designed to help public and certain non-profit agencies rebuild Iowa infrastructure and pay for response efforts. Eligible entities in 84 counties qualify for public assistance under the State and FEMA program. To date, the State and FEMA have obligated more than $593 million in federal funds for public assistance for projects in Iowa.

Online Producer: Jason Mortvedt

Powered by Frankly