Acid spill at Clarke college - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Acid spill at Clarke college

Posted:

DUBUQUE (KWWL) - Dubuque firefighters are cleaning up a chemical spill on the Clarke College campus.

Students and staff were evacuated from Catherine Byrne Hall Thursday morning after two liters of hydrochloric acid spilled. No students were in the classroom when it happened.

No one was injured. Firefighters are on the scene in Hazmat gear. They say it will take 2-3 hours to clean up the acid.

Experts say concentrated hydrochloric acid forms acidic mists.

Both the mist and the solution have a corrosive effect on human tissue, with the potential to damage respiratory organs, eyes, skin, and intestines.

We have a crew at the scene and will have updates on our News at Noon, Five, and on KWWL.com.

Online Producer: Maria Magner

Powered by Frankly