Ventilator catches fire at Cedar Rapids hospital - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Ventilator catches fire at Cedar Rapids hospital

Posted:

CEDAR RAPIDS (KWWL)-- The Neonatal intensive care unit of St. Luke's Hospital was evacuated after a ventilator caught fire.

At the time of the fire, seven babies were in the unit.  Cedar Rapids Police say a nurse in the room was able to pull the baby inside the ventilator to safety.

The fire began at 10:40 Friday night. No one was injured and the babies were taken to another floor.

The fire was extinguished by hospital staff with a dry chemical extinguisher. The unit is back open.

Powered by Frankly