Neighbors react to late night shooting - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Neighbors react to late night shooting

WATERLOO (KWWL) -- Neighbors gathered at the corner of Courtland and Lane streets Wednesday evening, where a shooting happened Tuesday night.

Organizers say they want to send a message that violent behavior won't be tolerated in Waterloo.  They're calling for people to come forward if they know any information in the shooting death of Taveros Galloway. The 29-year old died after being shot in the head while driving his sport utility vehicle late Thursday night. 

Galloway was alone in his SUV on the 300 block of Courtland street when neighbors say they heard about six to eight gunshots.  They looked out their window and saw the white SUV continue down the street before coming to a stop in the 500 block of Courtland. 

Police aren't telling us much, but say they've been talking to witnesses overnight and much of the day Wednesday.  Police cordoned off about a three block area of Courtland street until late Wednesday afternoon to collect any evidence that may help in this case.  That's meant a frustrating day for some neighbors because they were stuck in their homes, unable to access their car to leave their driveway.

Wednesday afternoon, a flank of investigators walked side-by-side down Courtland street to see if any potential evidence had been missed.  An unusual move for an unusual crime scene.

Neighbors say it's been a shocking 18 hours since the shooting.

"I'm supposed to be spending the night on Valentine's day," said Paul McGonigle of Waterloo.  "That's kind of scary now because i heard what happened."

"I know i'm not gonna bring my baby around this neighborhood for a while because it's kinda crazy," said Pauline Manning also of Waterloo.

Galloway's death marks the first homicide of 2009 in Waterloo.  It comes about two months since Waterloo's last murder - one which remains unsolved.  

Some community leaders believe the key to solving these cases is not withholding information.

"We are taking a public stand, a united stand against it," said Belinds Creighton-Smith.  "Anything we see we'll report it, anything we hear, we'll report it. We're not going to lay down and let our community become more violent by the day, we're not gonna have it."

Late Wednesday afternoon, police told KWWL autopsy results show Galloway died from a single gunshot wound to the head.  Funeral arrangements are pending at Sanders funeral service.

Powered by Frankly