One of the most recent eastern Iowans to die from meningitis was a Loras College volleyball player, Audrey Fitzgerald. The sophomore died suddenly last spring. The news shocked the campus and devastated the Loras volleyball team.
This bacteria isn't always fatal. In October, four-year-old Hunter Fuller of Fairbank had a strain of bacterial meningitis. Hunter spent two and a half weeks in an induced coma in Iowa city. The meningitis began shutting down his organs, so he has dialysis. Thanks to fast treatment, Hunter is at home recovering and doing physical therapy.