Oxygen masks help save pets - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Oxygen masks help save pets

Posted:

WATERLOO (KWWL) Three dogs are alive thanks largely to an equipment donation to the Waterloo Fire Department. In November, P.E.T. P.A.L.S. donated 14 pet oxygen masks to the Waterloo, Cedar Falls and Evansdale fire departments.

Just a few weeks after the donation, the masks helped save the lives of three dogs suffering from smoke inhalation in a house fire.

Crazy, Baby Girl and Fred almost died during a recent house fire on Carriage Hill Drive in Waterloo.

Owner Kevin Buls said he came home to a smoke-filled house and found Crazy and Fred passed out in front of the stove.

"I went in there and pulled both of them out and then Baby Girl, I couldn't her at first, so I went around calling her name and thank God she wasn't passed out. She was up and I heard her whimpering so I went over and got her and pulled her out," said Kevin Buls.

Buls started CPR on the dogs until the fire department arrived, but didn't think the dogs would live.

"Right after I pulled them out my daughter came home and said dad what's wrong with my dogs and I said Michaela they're all dead because I really thought they were all dead. I really did," said Buls.

Waterloo firefighters used newly donated pet oxygen masks to help revive the animals.

"Two came back right away, but the big one, he really didn't look like he was going to make it. I don't think they really thought he was gonna make it either," said Buls.

But Crazy did survive, Buls said thanks to the pet oxygen mask.

"They wouldn't have made it without them," he said.

Now, all three dogs are doing well, adjusting to a smaller living space. Buls and his dogs are staying at Comfort Suites in Cedar Falls until the house is fixed.

"It's been tough. Real tight quarters," he said.

But Buls is grateful the hotel allowed his dogs, and happy all three are still alive. He said if he had gotten home just a few minutes later, the outcome could be very different.

Buls said Crazy may have actually started the fire by jumping up to grab a pan off the stove and accidentally bumping one of the knobs. He said the new stove will have dials farther back instead of on the front.

The total cost of damage to the house is around $55,000. Buls expects to be at the hotel for at least another month while his house is fixed. Insurance is covering the cost of repairs and the hotel, but he is worried about vet bills. So far he owes more than $1200.

Reporter: Danielle Wagner

Powered by Frankly