Fire at Cedar Falls school - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Fire at Cedar Falls school

Posted:

CEDAR FALLS (KWWL) - A shorted-out light fixture brought fire crews to an eastern Iowa middle school Tuesday.
Emergency crews responded to an alarm at Holmes Junior High in Cedar Falls shortly after 4:00 a.m.

School officials say a light fixture shorted out in a women's bathroom.
Part of the fixture then melted and started two soap dispensers on fire.
Crews were able to get the fire under control a short time later.

"Obviously you have a fire it's a potentially dangerous situation for the whole building. Our alarms work very well. They got us alerted, we got the fire extinguished before it could spread to anywhere else in the building and that's a real plus," said principal David Welter.

The northwest wing of the school was ventilated and classes started on time.

Online Producer:  Adam Amdor

Powered by Frankly