Fire department warns of kitchen fires during holidays - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Fire department warns of kitchen fires during holidays

Posted:

DUBUQUE (KWWL) -- You are three times more likely to have a fire in your home on Thanksgiving than any other day of the year according to the National Fire Protection Association.

Dubuque firefighters have responded to as many as four structure fires on a particular Thanksgiving.  The National Fire Protection Association says cooking is the number one cause of house fires.

"If you have to make a trip somewhere, shut everything off or have someone else watch it for you," said Dubuque Fire Marshal Mark Ludesher.  "Don't leave cooking unattended. That's when most fires start when there's not somebody there to watch it."

Other tips include:
Keep children and pets away from the stove and oven.
Don't wear loose-fitting or dangling clothing while cooking.
Never keep anything flammable near the stove.
Plug heating appliances directly into the wall -- not into an extension cord.
But most importantly -- be prepared.

"Make sure that you have the right extinguishing material for the type of fire you have," said Ludesher.  "If you have paper or wood products on fire, or a camp fire, generally water is the best, cheapest and most readily available. Water is not necessarily the best for a flammable liquid fire."

That's where a fire extinguisher can be helpful. The fire department set up this demonstration for us. "We use the pass acronym. Pull the pin, aim the nozzle, squeeze the handle, sweep back and forth." 

If you do start a fire -- call the fire department first even if you think you can get it under control.

"we can always turn around and go back if you get the fire out," said Ludesher.  "We prefer that you call us and not have to do anything when we get there."

In the last few years deep frying turkeys has become more popular.  Those fires can be particularly dangerous.  In fact the fire department didn't want to do a demonstration of a turkey oil fire because of safety concerns.

Online Reporter: Jamie Grey

Online Producer: Dani Blecha

Powered by Frankly