Cigarettes cause house fire - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Cigarettes cause house fire

Posted:

CEDAR RAPIDS (KWWL) -- A family came home Thursday morning to find black charring above the front door and smoke coming from their home's roof.

Firefighters showed up on the scene,3730 Kencrest Drive NE, just before 11 a.m.

The one-story rental home had no visible flame or smoke until firefighters went through the front door. There was heat, smoke and fire damage to the living room that had spread to the adjacent kitchen. There was smoke damage throughout the entire home.

Officials say a smoldering fire had started in the house and due to the slow burning process, the fire consumed all of the available oxygen. Firefighters had to extinguish only a small amount of remaining fire in the living room ceiling.

There were no injuries reported.

The home is being rented by Scott Adkins, age 33, and Kelly Adkins, age 31, and their four children, ages 1, 2, 7 and 10. The family is displaced by the fire and is being assisted by the American Red Cross.

Fire officials say cigarette materials that were discarded into a trash can in the living room caused the fire.

The Cedar Rapids Fire Department says before you throw out smoking materials and ashes, to make sure that they are extinguished properly by dousing in water or sand.

Online Producer: Jenn Jarvis

Powered by Frankly