National Guard's disasters costs to be covered - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

National Guard's disasters costs to be covered


DES MOINES (AP) -- Gov. Chet Culver says $6.6 million to cover costs for the Iowa National Guard's response to severe weather is in the final stages of federal approval.

Culver says Guard soldiers were activated for a wide variety of missions this year.

He says it was the largest deployment of the Iowa Guard since the Civil War, with more than 4,000 Guard members helping to protect Iowans' homes, business and communities during severe storms.

The federal funds will be used to reimburse the Iowa Department of Public Defense.

Culver says the money covers 90 percent of the $7.4 million it cost for the Guard's response efforts. State dollars will cover the remaining 10 percent.

Powered by Frankly