Iowa National Guard receives funding for disaster relief - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Iowa National Guard receives funding for disaster relief

Posted:

WATERLOO (KWWL) -- Gov. Chet Culver announced on Wednesday the Iowa National Guard will receive $6.6 million in federal funding to help pay for the response to natural disasters this year.

Culver says more than 4,000 troops were deployed, the largest group since the Civil War. The money will be used to reimburse the Iowa Department of Public Defense.

The National Guard response cost about $7.4 million and the federal funds will cover 90 percent, while the state will cover the remaining 10 percent. The funding is part of the FEMA Public Assistance program.

 

Powered by Frankly