National cattle show comes to Waterloo - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

National cattle show comes to Waterloo

Posted: Updated:
WATERLOO (KWWL) -

This week, hundreds of cattle and young producers traveled from across the country to compete in Eastern Iowa.

The annual conference for the American Gelbvieh Junior Association is underway at the National Cattle Congress in Waterloo.

The Gelbvieh is a breed of cattle which originated in Germany.

"It is like going to summer camp, except you take your cow with you," said Al Knapp from Kansas.

Instead of canoeing and crafting, the youth compete in events testing their knowledge of cattle.

In one contest, teams of three have 30 minutes to groom their animals for judging.

"It really hones in the skills the kids need to present their animal at the highest spot they can," said American Gelbvieh Junior Association Board President Callahan Grund.

After the 30 minutes are up, contestants walk their cattle into the show ring to be judged on presentation.

Overall the week-long event gives exhibitors a chance to showcase the hard work they have put in over the years.

"Anyone of them would be glad to tell you about their cattle operation as a whole. We really strive to be the best stewards of the cattle and land that we can. I think this is a great opportunity to come out and see that," said Grund.

The young producers are learning the skills needed to carry on as the next generation of agriculture.

 "Only 3% or less of the population is involved in the production agriculture. That 3% feeds the other 97%. So, it is very important these kids have the opportunity to do this and hopefully continue on family traditions of raising cattle, and being involved in production agriculture," said Knapp.

The event runs through Friday and is free to the public.  

Powered by Frankly