Cedar Rapids man loses part of hand in fireworks explosion
CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (AP) - The city of Cedar Rapids says a man who lit a firework lost parts of several fingers after the device exploded while he was holding it.
Officials said Wednesday in a news release that the incident happened Tuesday evening, severely damaging one of the 19-year-old man's hands.
Officials reminded the public that use of fireworks within city limits is banned.
The Cedar Rapids Fire Department says it responded last year to 13 fire incidents involving fireworks, including three building fires. Hospitals in the area treated 21 patients last year for fireworks injuries.
Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Rep. Tom Sands, a Republican lawmaker in the Iowa House, says he won't seek re-election in November. Sands, who represents Wapello in eastern Iowa, announced Thursday he will withdraw his name from the general...
A city in southeastern Iowa has agreed to pay $2 million to the family of a woman who was mistakenly killed by a police officer. The settlement between the estate of Autumn Steele and the city of Burlington was reached...More >>