UPDATE: Relative says Sharp family killed by gas leak from appli - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

UPDATE: Relative says Sharp family killed by gas leak from appliance

Posted: Updated:
(AP and NBC) -

MEXICO CITY (AP) - A prosecutor in Mexico says a gas leak in a water heater is suspected in the death of an Iowa couple and their two children last week.

The head prosecutor of the Caribbean coast state of Quintana Roo told local media Monday that the water heater "was leaking gas, maybe from use or lack of maintenance."

Miguel Angel Pech told the Radio Formula station that "a high level" of gas was found in the rented condo where the couple was staying.

Autopsies indicate the family died from inhaling toxic gas in the resort of Tulum, but the source hadn't been determined.

Iowa officials identified the family as Kevin Sharp, 41; his wife, Amy Sharp, 38, and their children Sterling, 12, and Adrianna, 7. They were from Creston, Iowa.

******************************

UPDATE: Just days after the heartbreaking news that a Creston family died while on vacation in Mexico, a relative says officials have told them a gas leak from an appliance was the cause of their deaths.

According to the Des Moines Register Jana Weland, a cousin to Amy Sharp, says the U.S. Consulate in Mexico informed the family that a gas leak from a water heater or gas stove was what killed the Sharp family.

*******************************

Authorities in Mexico say the cause of death for an Iowa family was "asphyxia by inhalation of toxic gases."

According to the state attorney general's office, investigators are working to learn what gas it was.

The autopsy indicates that Kevin, Amy, Sterling and Adrianna were likely dead for at least 36 hours before their bodies were found Friday in the condo they rented.

Right now, authorities in Mexico are working to investigate the condo's gas system to figure out how they were exposed.

Powered by Frankly