'The silent killer': How to check for a carbon monoxide leak - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

'The silent killer': How to check for a carbon monoxide leak

Posted: Updated:

One person has died and 14 others are still in the hospital following 'lethal levels' of carbon monoxide filling a Marshalltown church. 

It's known as the "silent killer" because you can't see or smell it, but there are some ways to make sure your home or business is safe. 

Scott Knight has been working for Dalton Plumbing, Heating and Cooling for the past 15 years.

He says, "Our job is the health and safety of the customer... that's what it's all about."

No matter the call, he carries his own carbon monoxide detector for any signs of a leak.

"It's just the nature of the beast and it's an ugly beast with the recent loss of life, and so many people don't do regular maintenance on their equipment," he says.

With the temperature dropping outside, the risk for a leak goes up. Knight says now is the time to check your home and businesses.

"Fireplace vents, furnace vents, dryer vents, you want to make sure they are all venting correctly," Knight says. 

Knight suggests checking your detector batteries at least once every season and updating your detector every 5 years or so. 

"Many have timers built into it and it will tell you when it's at the end of its life. With an older one, until you look at the manufacturing date, you don't know if it's any good or not," he says. 

"There's no prejudice when it comes to carbon monoxide, it can get you at the most inopportune moment," Knight says. 

As we saw in the Iowa church case, even a small exposure can cause flu like symptoms like headaches, dizziness and nausea.

Powered by Frankly