VIDEO: Teen injured when e-cigarette explodes in face - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

VIDEO: Teen injured when e-cigarette explodes in face

Posted: Updated:
(CNN) -

A teen nearly lost his eye after his e-cigarette blew up in his face.

Blake Chastain, of Oregon, was on his break at work when he says his e-cigarette suddenly exploded.

He had to be flown to a nearby hospital and had several injuries, including serious burns and shattered teeth.

He says he only used the e-cigarette for a week and had not modified it.

A federal study released in July shows a growing trend in e-cigarette fires and explosions from 2009 to 2016. More than half of those happened just last year.

Powered by Frankly