US nuke commander "assumes" NKoreans tested H-bomb - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

US nuke commander "assumes" NKoreans tested H-bomb

Posted: Updated:

By ROBERT BURNS
AP National Security Writer

OFFUTT AIR FORCE BASE, Neb. (AP) - The top commander of U.S. nuclear forces says he assumes the Sept. 3 nuclear test by North Korea was a hydrogen bomb.

Air Force Gen. John E. Hyten, commander of Strategic Command, told reporters that while he was not in a position to confirm it, he assumes from the size of the underground explosion and other factors that it was a hydrogen bomb - which is a leap beyond the fission, or atomic, bombs North Korea has previously tested.

North Korea claimed they exploded a hydrogen bomb, and while U.S. officials have not contradicted them, they have not confirmed it, either.

Hyten says a North Korean H-bomb is worrying because of the scale of destruction it could cause if used in war.

Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by Frankly