The Latest: 4th person arrested in connection with the attacks i - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

The Latest: 4th person arrested in connection with the attacks in Barcelona

Posted: Updated:
(AP) -

   BARCELONA, Spain (AP) -- Catalan police say they have arrested a fourth person in connection with the attacks in Barcelona and the resort of Cambrils that have killed at least 14 people.
   Police made the announcement on Twitter without providing further details.
   Thursday's van attack in Barcelona killed at least 13 people, and one woman was killed early Friday in Cambrils when a car plowed into pedestrians there. Police fatally shot five suspects in Cambrils. It wasn't immediately clear if the Barcelona van driver is among the arrested or dead suspects.
----------

BARCELONA, Spain (AP) -- The Latest on the Barcelona attack (all times local):
   4:10 a.m.
   The police force for Spain's Catalonia region says the fifth suspect shot in the resort town of Cambrils has died and six civilians have been injured.
   Police earlier Friday morning had said four suspects had been killed in the town south of Barcelona during a police operation to "respond to a terrorist attack."
   The confrontation came about eight hours after a van swerved through a pedestrian walkway in a popular destination in downtown Barcelona, killing 13 people and injured an estimated 100 more.
   The regional police said they cannot say how the six civilians were injured at the moment.
   They earlier tweeted that they are investigating whether the Cambrils suspects were wearing explosive vests. Its officers planned to carry out several controlled explosions.
   The force says it is working on the theory that the Cambrils suspects were linked to the Barcelona attack, as well as to a Wednesday night explosion in the town of Alcanar in which one person was killed.

BARCELONA, Spain (AP) -- Catalan official gives update on Barcelona van attack: 13 dead, some very badly hurt and figure could rise; 100 injured.

BARCELONA, Spain (AP) -- The Latest on the van that ran into a crowd in Barcelona's Las Ramblas district (all times local):
   9:40 p.m.
   The Islamic State group has claimed responsibility for the van attack in Barcelona that officials say killed 12 people and injured many others.
   A statement carried by the extremist group's media arm -- the Aamaq news agency -- says Thursday's attack was carried out by "soldiers of the Islamic State."
   It says the attack was in response to IS calls for its followers to target countries participating in the coalition trying to drive the extremist group from Syria and Iraq.
   The statement provided no further details about the attackers.
   ------
   9:25 p.m.
   The police force for Spain's Catalonia region says troopers have shot and killed a man who was in a car that hit two officers at a traffic blockade in Barcelona.
   The Mossos d'Esquadra force did not indicate if the incident was related to the van attack in the city's Las Ramblas district on Thursday.
   Local media reports say a white Ford Focus ran over the officers and then was intercepted by police 3 kilometers (1.9 miles) away.
   That's where troopers shot one man dead.

BARCELONA, Spain (AP) -- The Latest on the van that ran into a crowd in Barcelona's Las Ramblas district (all times local):
   8:15 p.m.
   The president of Spain's Catalonia region says police have arrested two people in the van attack in Barcelona's bustling Las Ramblas district.
   Carles Puigdemont also gave updated casualty figures during a brief news conference Thursday night.
   Puigdemont says 12 people are confirmed dead and at least 80 have been hospitalized since the van jumped a sidewalk and swerved through a busy pedestrian area.
   The region's interior minister had tweeted earlier that 13 people had died in the attack.
   Barcelona Mayor Ada Colau says a moment of silence will be held in the city's main square at noon Friday "to show that we are not scared and we are more united that ever."
  

BARCELONA, Spain (AP) -- The Latest on the van that ran into a crowd in Barcelona's Las Ramblas district (all times local):
   9:00 p.m.
   Spain's royal palace has condemned the deadly van attack in Barcelona, calling the perpetrators "assassins, simply criminals who will not terrorize us."
   A speeding van struck pedestrians in Barcelona's Las Ramblas district, killing at least 13 people and injuring more than 50 others.
   The royal palace's statement, which was posted on Twitter, also said that "All of Spain is Barcelona. Las Ramblas will once again be for all."
   In a separate tweet, Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy said that "the terrorists will never destroy a united people who love liberty over barbarism. All of Spain is with the victims and families."   

A government official in Barcelona says one person has been confirmed dead and 32 others injured in the van attack in the city's historic Las Ramblas district.
   Catalonia's regional interior chief Joaquim Forn said during a news conference on Thursday: "Unfortunately the number of fatalities will likely rise."
   Media in Barcelona are reporting that up to 13 died in the attack.
   Barcelona police said on Twitter that 10 of the 32 people injured were seriously hurt.
   A van mounted a sidewalk in the popular tourist area of Las Ramblas, slamming into a crowd of pedestrians on Thursday afternoon.

Powered by Frankly