Solar panels will help power drinking water stations in Cedar Ra - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Solar panels will help power drinking water stations in Cedar Rapids

Posted: Updated:
CEDAR RAPIDS (KWWL) -

The city of Cedar Rapids will be using solar panels to help power drinking water stations. 

Solar Panels have been installed along Glass Road NE, Chandler Street SW and Kirkwood Boulevard SW. 

Carolyne Epp has lived along Glass Road for more than 40 years. 

"I think it's the best use of that area, particularly when it's saving the city money," she says in regards to the solar panels that were placed right across the street. 

Cedar Rapids Environmental Specialist Holly Ruble says the solar panels will power 85% of the drinking water station along Glass Road, the other 15% will still be powered by Alliant Energy. 


"Were gonna be saving money, the first year will probably be about a $10,000 savings and then our agreement and our contract will be 25 years and that last year we hope to see about $34,000 in savings," she told us. 

Ruble says some neighbors aren't thrilled about the solar panels but the space is not yet complete. 
"There are a couple of neighbors who think maybe it's an eye sore so what we plan to do is put up some shrubs and trees along the perimeter."

Solar panels have been installed at three of the ten booster stations in the city, they will become live next month. 

Powered by Frankly