7-month-old identified in deadly Waterloo rollover crash - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

7-month-old identified in deadly Waterloo rollover crash

Posted: Updated:
Hagarty Waychoff Grarup Funeral Services Hagarty Waychoff Grarup Funeral Services

UPDATE: We now know the name of the 7-month-old boy who died in a rollover crash in Waterloo.

According to Orchard Hill Prayer List, Liam Mwanje died at University of Iowa Hospitals from injuries from the crash.


Police say a child has died after being injured in a rollover crash last night. A pickup truck and minivan collided at the intersection of Sycamore and First Streets just after 6:30 p.m. in Waterloo.

Several people ran over to help after the crash happened. Patrick McGrane says he was driving by with his family when he saw the aftermath, he instantly pulled over to help.

"I got out of my car and walked up to the accident scene and I just seen him pulling kids out of the car and it was pretty smashed up and I just started going around from kid to kid checking pulses because none of them were real lively and I noticed the baby didn't have a pulse or wasn't breathing," said McGrane, Waterloo.

Police say nine people were in the van at the time of the crash. The crash injured at least three kids and killed one, according to police.  McGrane says a baby was killed in the rollover crash. 

"He was crawling in the back of the van, pulling the kids out of the van, and there was another guy or pedestrian helping get the kids out," said McGrane. "It was kind of one after another coming out of this van and laying them on the ground...it was real horrific."

Friends of the family involved in the crash say the baby was eight months old.

"I walked over to the baby and noticed it wasn't breathing and no pulse and performed CPR on it," said McGrane.

Even before paramedics and police arrived, people driving by pulled over and got out and helped anyway they could. McGrane says he did all he could and is devastated the baby didn't make it.

"It's hard, but it's out of my hands...I did what I could do," said McGrane. "It wasn't breathing at all, no pulse at all, and when the paramedics did take it out of my arms it was breathing, it wasn't breathing good, it didn't seem very stable but it gave me a sign of hope...I thought at least maybe it could make it and after the fact I learned that it didn't make it and I just know in my heart I did everything I could."

At last check we don't know how the other children are doing tonight, but police say their injuries vary from serious to non-life threatening.

Iowa State Patrol is helping Waterloo Police with this active investigation.

Powered by Frankly