Lightning hits gas line, causes yard fire - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Lightning hits gas line, causes yard fire

Posted: Updated:
Photo courtesy of Rich Frahm. Photo courtesy of Rich Frahm.
LINN COUNTY (KWWL) -

Wednesday night lightning struck a gas line sparking a fire according to the Linn County Sheriff's Office. 

It happened in Rich Frahm's front yard which is in the 7400 block of Macon Drive. 

"I was in the basement working on some electronics and I had my hands on a light that I was putting up and I could feel it in my hands when it hit. I heard it of course, and I felt it in my hands," he told us. 

Frahm didn't realize the lightning had sparked a fire until his neighbor rang his doorbell. 

"I was just gonna keep on working but then I heard my doorbell ring and I ran upstairs and my neighbor was here, he had grabbed the garden hose."

Firefighters from Monroe Township put the fire out after the utility company shut the gas off. 

Crews worked to replace the gas line this morning. 

The home was left unscathed despite the fire making it's way to the gas meter behind the home, leaving it charred. 

"Real lucky, I feel real lucky. I mean it's kind of a pain I mean there's some things in the house that are bad now and it's gonna cost me some money to replace those but it's just so lucky that really this is all that happened," Frahm says. 

He tells us he is having issues with his Wi-Fi router and garage openers but it could have been worse. 

Powered by Frankly