Iowa natives lose home to fire started by fireworks - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Iowa natives lose home to fire started by fireworks

Posted: Updated:

A military family is now dealing with losing their home on the 4th of July after a firework starts a fire on their porch.

The family is grateful and shocked by the outpouring of support from Iowa. 

Derek and Carlee Hayes were both born in eastern Iowa. 

They've moved away, but say right now they're really seeing just how supportive Iowans can be in times of tragedy.

The couple currently lives in Tacoma, Washington.     

On the 4th of July, a firework landed on a wood pile on their porch and sparked a fire.

The couple lost their home and their beloved dog, Odin.  

They say they're grateful to the friends, family and strangers that have reached out to help them just days after this all happened.

"We've lived in a lot of different places, and no one cares like the people from the Midwest do. It's genuine love, and we can't thank Iowans enough for that," Carlee says. 

The  couple is also thankful to the many military families that have reached out to help. Derek is in the Army. 

Firefighters in Tacoma, Washington say the fire started on the Hayes's porch. It then eventually caused smoke, water and fire damage throughout the rest of the apartment.

The fire was likely started by someone shooting of fireworks in a courtyard nearby the apartment. This was not from a professional firework show. 

The couple says let this story be a reminder that when you're lighting fireworks, do it responsibly. They say you never know what that one spark could ignite. 

If you would like to donate and help out this couple, click here

You can also email them at carlisleiq@gmail.com. 

Powered by Frankly