Update: Extension cord overheating caused Marion fire - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Update: Extension cord overheating caused Marion fire

Posted: Updated:
MARION (KWWL) -

UPDATE: The Marion Fire Department says a mobile home started on fire by an extension cord overheating that was powering a power strip.

They say the excessive power demand from charging multiple devices caused it to overheat. Lithium batteries were also being charged.

The Marion Fire Department wants to remind everyone to not use extension cords with battery chargers.  Chargers need to be directly plugged into electrical outlets.

--------------------------------------------------

According to Marion firefighters, nobody was hurt after a mobile home caught fire Sunday.

Firefighters were called to 400 Lindale Drive lot #94 at 2:31 p.m. for smoke and flames coming from the back of the home.

All people inside made it out all right, and firefighters were able to contain the fire in 20 minutes.

Right now, the American Red Cross is helping to get the family back on their feet.

Authorities say the fire likely started near the back of the home, but they're working to determine an exact cause.

--------------------------------------------------

Marion firefighters are on the scene of a mobile home fire.

According to fire station spokesperson, firefighters were called to a mobile home community at 400 Lindale Drive at 2:31 p.m. Sunday.

Right now, fire crews are reviewing the damage and trying to investigate how the fire started.

It's too soon to tell whether anyone was hurt, but we will continue to follow this story as it develops.

Powered by Frankly