UPDATE: cause of death released in deadly fire - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

UPDATE: cause of death released in deadly fire

Posted: Updated:

UPDATE: Waterloo Police say the man who died in a house fire Tuesday, died of smoke inhalation. 

Luong Quang Le was found dead inside an upstairs bedroom, Tuesday evening when Waterloo Fire Department responded to a fire.

The fire remains under investigation.


Waterloo Police say 44-year-old Luong Quang Le was found dead inside a Waterloo home. 

Le is known in the community for his cooking. His wife owns Tokyo Bay and Sakura restaurants. The community is mourning his loss. Tokyo Bay, where Le worked was closed for the day as they mourn the death of a big piece of their work family. 

Battalion Chief Mike Moore says there was not a single working smoke detector inside the home. 

Waterloo Police and Fire do not believe the fire is suspicious, but the fire is still under investigation.

An autopsy is scheduled for Thursday. 


A man is found dead inside a Waterloo home. 

Crews were originally responding to a call for a fire at a home in the 800 block of East Ridgeway Avenue.

Firefighters were responding to a fire in a second floor bedroom.  It was in that bedroom where crews discovered the man.

Battalion Chief Mike Moore told KWWL the fire probably burned for a couple of hours inside the bedroom and eventual started to burn out.

Then, friends who were concerned about the victim went to the home to check on him.

According to Moore, the friends opened the bedroom door and the new source of oxygen reignited the fire. 

That is when the 911 call came in.

Police are not considering this a suspicious death.  The fire and death are both under investigation. 

Powered by Frankly