Fire forces Cedar Rapids family from home - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Fire forces Cedar Rapids family from home

Posted: Updated:
CEDAR RAPIDS (KWWL) -

A fire forces a Cedar Rapids family from their home just days before Christmas. 

It happened overnight on 17th Street SW. 

The owners believe the fire started electrically. 

Christmas decorations still sit outside the home and there is not much damage to be seen from the curb. 

 "At least this can be replaced I mean lives can't," says Allan Worthen, the homeowner.

Soot and ash fill the hallway where the Worthen's thermostat is located. 

"Detectors went off and I walked past the thermostat it was real hot and the walls were bubbling the ceiling was bubbling," Worthen says. 

Worthen tells us the fire department arrived within minutes.

"They had to break it loose and then you could see where the wood was burning where it went up the wall and actually it was following the wire back to the fuse box," he says. 

Worthen says the fire comes after an ongoing problem with their circuit breaker popping, it's something he says they had plans to fix just hours later. 

"I called the electrician and they couldn't really do anything yet until early morning."

Not fixing the problem until morning turned out to be too late. 

Allan, his wife and their dog Buster escaped without injury. 

Sadly, the home is damaged and unlivable, changing family Christmas plans. 

"Was gonna come over for Christmas but now we are going to her house," Worthen says. 

The family plans to eventually move back into their home. 

Worthen is giving advice so others don't have to go through a fire like this,"If you start having circuit breakers popping, get them checked right away otherwise this is what is gonna happen," he says. 

The family is thankful to the Cedar Rapids firefighters who quickly grabbed important items from their bedroom and moved them in order to save them from the blaze. 

For now, the Worthens plan to stay in a hotel. 

Powered by Frankly