Grand Jury: No charges against Cedar Rapids Officer - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Grand Jury: No charges against Cedar Rapids Officer

Posted: Updated:

An Iowa police officer who shot a man in the neck during a traffic stop, paralyzing him, will not face charges.

A grand jury deciding not to indict Cedar Rapids Officer Lucas Jones.

According to the Linn County Attorney, Officer Jones pulled Jerime Mitchell over last month for not having working lights.

After a brief struggle, Officer Jones says he felt he was in danger, and shot Mitchell.

For the first time, County Attorney Jerry Vander Sanden revealed a detailed account of what video and Officer Jones' testimony says happened leading up to the shooting.

According to Vander Sanden, during the traffic stop Officer Jones smelled marijuana and asked Mitchell to step out of the car.

While Officer Jones attempted to handcuff Mitchell, a struggle broke out. At one point, Mitchell got back into his car and attempted to leave.

"Officer Jones was caught in between the open door and the truck itself. He couldn't tell what was holding him to the truck, but he was unable to free himself as Mitchell pressed the brake and reached towards the gear lever on the steering column. Officer Jones told Mitchell several times to stop and to not accelerate. Mitchell disregarded Officer Jones' directives, placing the truck into drive and beginning to accelerate with Officer Jones still inside the open door of the truck. Officer Jones felt like we was still secure to the now moving truck and feared his life was in jeopardy. He then grabbed his service weapon and fired three shots at Mitchell's head with the intent to kill," said Linn County Attorney Jerry Vander Sanden.

Vander Sanden went on to say investigators found $1,500 and a pound of marijuana in Mitchell's car.

Mitchell also tested positive for marijuana use.

However, the dashcam video and bodycam video have not been released.

The attorney saying the audio was not functioning on Jones' bodycam.

The verbatim of the exchange given during the press conference was from testimony from Jones alone.

Mitchell never gave a statement.

Vander Sanden claiming investigators attempted multiple times to meet with Mitchell.

Mitchell's attorney addressed that statement at a community meeting following the announcement.

"For a long time after Mr. Mitchell was shot he did not have the ability to speak. .  .As soon as he was able, we made an appointment. We did not know that that appointment would be for nought; that the Grand Jury would meet without hearing from Jerime," said Mitchell's attorney Paula Roby.

The peaceful meeting including the Cedar Rapids Police Chief Wayne Jerman  and Linn County Supervisor Stacey Walker.

However, some are still calling for Officer Jones to be fired.

"Bottom line, I don't think that he should have been shot. I think Officer Jones has a loose finger and he should not be on the police force," said a woman at the meeting.

In October of last year, Officer Jones was involved in a fatal shooting. The shooting was determined by to be a justified use of force by DCI.

The dashcam video will not be released to the public until Mitchell's family has a chance to see it.

Mitchell will not face any charges.

Powered by Frankly