Toaster fire destroys Waterloo home - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Toaster fire destroys Waterloo home

Posted: Updated:
WATERLOO (KWWL) -

A toaster causes a Waterloo home to catch fire Sunday morning. The fire has left the family who lives there, homeless.

The fire all started in the family's kitchen after a pop-tart was placed in the toaster. 

"From the toaster oven, into my bedroom, to yelling at them, to calling the fire department,  to four and a half minutes for them to get here, I bet you 10 minutes, ten minutes, that's all it took," said Carla Cavanaugh, owner of the home that burned down. 

Carla says she put the Pop-Tart in the toaster, then walked out of the kitchen to her bedroom. She then walked back in and saw her kitchen up in flames.

She says that her son's room is in the basement and if it wasn't for her quick reaction, they wouldn't have made it out.

"I was screaming, 'oh my God, get out of there, there's a fire' and they heard me, thank God," said Carla. "They wouldn't have gotten out of the basement, they wouldn't have made it alive, because the smoke was so black and thick."

Looking at the home Monday, Carla says she still can't believe it.

"I just keep on saying 'wow' because it's everything, everything I had," said Carla. "It's either smoke damaged, water damaged or it's destroyed."

Carla says she is lucky she was awake when the fire happened because the home does not have any working smoke detectors.

"I just took them out and was meaning to put them back in and you know what, I forgot," said Carla. "If we would have been sleeping, it would have saved our lives."

Waterloo firefighters confirm the fire started in the toaster and the home is not livable.

A Gofundme page has been set up to help Carla get back on her feet. https://www.gofundme.com/carla-luck-cavanaugh-fire-fund?ssid=798137701&pos=1.

Powered by Frankly