Prosecutor seeks to charge SC school shooting suspect as adult - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Prosecutor seeks to charge SC school shooting suspect as adult

Posted: Updated:
(AP) -

by PHIL HELSEL

A prosecutor in South Carolina on Thursday filed a motion to charge a 14-year-old suspect in an elementary school shooting as an adult.

The teenager faces two counts of murder, three counts of attempted murder, and five weapons possession counts in the Sept. 28 shooting at Townville Elementary School in Anderson County and the murder of another man identified as the boy's father, the Tenth Circuit Solicitor's Office said.

A hearing on the motion to move the case to general court has not yet been scheduled, and NBC News is not naming the suspect due to his age.

A 6-year-old boy who was at first critically wounded in the school shooting, Jacob Hall, died Saturday afternoon, three days later. Another boy and a teacher were also injured.

The suspect's father, Jeffrey Dewitt Osborne, 47, was found dead in his home about 3 miles away from the school, authorities said. Authorities believe the suspect shot Osborne to death before going to the elementary school.

The suspect was being home-schooled after bringing a machete and a hatchet to his middle school earlier this year, a source close to his family has said. 

Powered by Frankly