Linn County Carbon Monoxide poisoning reminder - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Linn County Carbon Monoxide poisoning reminder

Posted: Updated:
CEDAR RAPIDS (KWWL) -

Flood cleanup will soon be underway in Linn County. People who live in and around flooded areas are urged to take precautions to help prevent disease.

Improper use of gas-powered generations and other power equipment while cleaning up after a flood can increase the risk of Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning. 

CO is an ordorless, colorless and toxic gas. Because it is impossible to see, taste or smell the toxic fumes, CO can cause illness or even death before a person is aware they are being exposed. The most common symptoms of CO poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. High levels of CO ingestion may cause loss of consciousness or death. 

Linn County Public Health reminds people not to operate generators inside their homes. Generators should be placed in minimum of 20 feet away from the exterior of a structure and any open doors and windows. 

If you feel sick or dizzy, go outside to fresh air immediately. If CO poisoning is suspected, consult a health care professional right away. 

Powered by Frankly