Cedar Falls McDonald's evacuated after gas leak - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Cedar Falls McDonald's evacuated after gas leak

Posted: Updated:

A McDonald's closed abruptly Friday morning after employees started smelling gas. 

The Cedar Falls Fire Department was at the McDonald's on Viking Road intersection after midnight. The Fire Dept. says the heavy rain and wind Thursday night caused a furnace on the roof to break, leading to the gas leak.

Employees and customers were evacuated from the McDonald's.

"Eventually customers and employees started smelling some gas, they called 911, called the fire department and just evacuated," said Scott Soifer, franchise owner.

Soifer describes what happened, "It's a fluke thing, obviously there was rain and the storm last night, we didn't think anything of it, we were open. At some point something must have blown and hit something on the roof because we had a couple of stones that fell off the building, on the roof and a gas line from a H-VAC from one of the rooftop units just snapped in half."

Soifer says he is unsure of when the leak started.

"I am sure it took a little bit of time for the gas to build up before they smelled it," said Soifer.

Though the gas leak happened over night, the smell of gas still lingered inside the building, but it wasn't keeping customers from getting their McDonald's, and those customers say accidents happen.

"Absolutely, so that's obviously something they can't control, so and that's just how stuff works I guess," said Megan Brasch.

As of now, the restaurant is back open.

"Unless we have another fluke storm, something will happen, no permanent repairs are done and Cedar Falls Utilities came out and checked everything and turned the gas back on," said Soifer.  "They gave us a clean bill of health so, we are good to go."

The owner says all food that could have been affected has been thrown out and the restaurant was cleaned before opening back up.

Soifer says some of his employees did complain of headaches, but they did not ask for any further medical treatment.

Powered by Frankly