UPDATE: Overworked dryer creates fire, destroys Evansdale home - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

UPDATE: Overworked dryer creates fire, destroys Evansdale home

Posted: Updated:

UPDATE: Laundry lent ignites a house fire that quickly overtakes a family's home in Evansdale. The home is destroyed.

15-year-old Damon O'Brien was home alone doing laundry, when the dryer went up in flames.

He says, "I noticed a lot of smoke in the house, my eyes starting watering. Then, I saw the dryer door open itself...there was fire coming out of it."

Damon spent at least 3 hours doing laundry before the dryer went up in flames. He says all that lint caused it to overheat and the fire grew. He says he feels terrible.

Damon says, "I'm trying not to blame myself, I did everything I could and everyone keeps telling me that... but I was thinking there was more I could have maybe done."

Damon and his animals safely got out of the house. One of his cats was missing for a day, but it showed up on Monday. Now he is dealing with the reality, all of his belongings are gone.

He says, "The after-shock kicked in today and I just broke down. It hit me that I lost everything...I got nothing."

Firefighters say dryer fires are common, so remember it is very important to check your lint screen before each and every load. This is also a good reminder to check your vent hose for excess lint.

If you are interested in helping Damon and his dad, the family set up a GoFundMe account here: gofundme.com/2n7nabg

************************

UPDATE: Amber O'Brien says her father's cat ran away during the fire, and now no one can find her. She says her father is in shock.

The 3-year-old cat's name is Mew.

Please keep an eye out around the Evansdale area.

************************

A family loses their home after an overnight fire in Evansdale.

Crews responded around 1:40 a.m. Sunday morning to a home at 246 5th street.

When crews arrived, the home was fully engulfed but thankfully, everyone got out okay.

The Evansdale Fire Chief says the fire started in the dryer. Multiple agencies assisted Evansdale Fire.

The home is a total loss.

Powered by Frankly