85 still hospitalized after Nice attack, 18 in life-threatening - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

85 still hospitalized after Nice attack, 18 in life-threatening condition

Posted: Updated:

France's health minister says about 85 people remain hospitalized after a deadly truck rampage in the Mediterranean city of Nice, and 18 of them are in life-threatening condition -- including one child.

France's prime minister says the Islamic State group could have been responsible for last week's Bastille Day attack on Nice.

Manuel Valls, in an interview with the Journal du dimanche newspaper published Sunday, said the Islamic State group "is encouraging individuals unknown to our services to stage attacks." While the investigation is working on details, he said "that is without a doubt the case in the Nice attack."

IS claimed responsibility for Thursday's truck attack that killed 84 people, but neither the extremist group nor the French government has provided concrete signs of an IS link with the driver. Valls said only that authorities "now know that the killer radicalized very quickly."

Valls also warned that "terrorism will be part of our daily lives for a long time."

Health Minister Marisol Touraine urged any survivors to seek counseling offered by the government.

Speaking to reporters in Nice on Sunday, Touraine said while scores of people who were hospitalized have been released, some may need further medical treatment as their injuries heal.

Powered by Frankly