Officers killed 35 years ago remembered by retired Waterloo dete - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Officers killed 35 years ago remembered by retired Waterloo detective

Posted: Updated:
(KWWL) -

Painful memories resurface this week, as two Waterloo Police officers who were murdered 35 years ago, are remembered. 

James Michael "T-bone" Taylor convicted of murdering those two police officers officers 35 years ago back in 1981.

Officers Wayne Rice and Michael Hoing died while answering a call at 1027 Franklin street, just down the street from the KWWL studios. 

Retired Detective Marc Lattin says me that night will be frozen in his mind for the rest of his life.

He worked as a detective for Waterloo Police for 12 years on third shift. Lattin describes it as long periods of boredom interrupted by sheer moments of terror. For him, that July night brought the most horror. 

"I didn't know whether the shooter was still in the building, or in the crowd, or behind a vehicle in the dark," said Lattin. 

Now retired Waterloo Detective Marc Lattin remembers the grisly discovery he made 35 years ago.

It was third shift.    

"He was standing over the officer, firing into him," said Lattin. "And it was actually the muzzle flash is what I was witnessing as I came over the top of the railroad tracks."

The night two Waterloo Police officers were murdered. Officers Michael Hoing and Wayne Rice were responding to a loud noise complaint.

"Mike was laying up on the top of the steps," said Lattin. "Wayne was laying on the ground out about 25 feet from the front porch, was laying on his back, and as I approached the scene everybody was running at a high rate of speed."

Just minutes before James Michael T-bone Taylor hit Rice on the head. He took his service revolver, and then shot and killed both officers.

"They both had families that didn't have a dad anymore, the next morning," said Lattin.  

For Lattin, he was left empty of his brothers and the comradery they shared during third shift.  

"But it didn't have to be that way," said Lattin. "Had he not resisted arrest. He would've been out of jail the next morning."

The unknown of each shift. Whether it's the five slain officers in Dallas or his two brothers. 

"You have no idea where this is coming from, and when it's going to happen," said Lattin. "And who it's gonna be. So, the difficulties and the challenges that they face now are just immense. And they've got my respect from here, for the rest of my life. I mean, it's just once you're a brother with them, they're family forever."     

Lattin also says as time goes on, it's never easier to move on. Especially with scenes like the one in Dallas. 

The convicted killer, James Michael "T-bone" Taylor died in 2014 when he was serving two life sentences for the murders of officers Hoing and Rice. 

Powered by Frankly