Homemade 'sparkler bomb' severely injures Texas teen - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Homemade 'sparkler bomb' severely injures Texas teen

Posted: Updated:

By: TIM STELLOH

(NBC) - A Texas teenager lost part of his leg and may be permanently blind after a homemade "sparkler bomb" exploded in front of him on Saturday, his family said.

Rowdy Radford, 15, tied nearly 200 sparklers together at his family's home in Sargent, south of Houston, relatives told NBC affiliate KPRC.

When Radford lit the device, it exploded immediately, the station reported. Several of his fingers were blown off and his hands and face were severely burned; his arms require screws and pins to hold them together and his part of his left leg was amputated, the family told the station.

"I just want this out," Radford's mother, Wendy Smith, told the station. "I want everybody to see this so they'll know what happened."

She added: "It's not worth it."

Powered by Frankly