Fire destroys a home less than two weeks before Christmas - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Fire destroys a home less than two weeks before Christmas

Posted: Updated:
This is the bedroom where the fire started. This is the bedroom where the fire started.
HIAWATHA (KWWL) -

A fire destroyed a home in Hiawatha, leaving a family without any of their belongings less than two weeks before Christmas.

It happened at a mobile home in the 200 block of Sunset Lane on Tuesday night.

An ambulance crew was already in the neighborhood responding to a medical call at the time of the fire, they were the first to see the flames.

 "All of the sudden I look over and I saw this trailer that had smoke and flames coming out from the roof," said Juju Smith, a firefighter and paramedic in Hiawatha.

 "We kept banging on doors banging on windows making sure no one was inside," Caleb Fairlie told us, a firefighter and EMT in Hiawatha.

No one was home at the time but the family has three children.

With emergency crews already in the neighborhood a fire truck arrived within minutes.

 "I guess if you'd like to call it a twist of fate almost, to know, for them to be here," said Robert Butler, the home owner.

Aside from losing their belongings, all of their Christmas presents are now gone as well.

From the outside it doesn't appear the home fire would be called a total loss but the inside is a different story.

KWWL went into the home with the family this morning to take a look.

What is not charred is destroyed because of water and smoke.

"We don't know where we're gonna go from here," Butler told us.

Children's stockings still hang on the mantle.

Drawings the kids made still hang on the fridge, they are now charred as well.

The scene is something the family has decided not to show their children.

 "It's better for them to just to have the memories that they do have already, the ones where it's with the walls painted and everything bright and not like this," Butler said.

The family tells us they don't know what they are going to do next, they have been staying with family and plan to be in a hotel for the next couple of nights.

Fire crews say the fire started in one of the children's bedrooms, the homeowner believes it was most likely electrical.

The family has set up a go fund me page, if you wish to help you can visit their page at https://www.gofundme.com/qxf6g4w4.

Powered by Frankly