Fire destroys home before Thanksgiving - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Fire destroys home before Thanksgiving

Posted: Updated:

Just  days before Thanksgiving, a fire destroys a home and a camper, both of which were being lived in.

It started around 8 p.m. on Tuesday, in the 2000 block of Central City Road in Linn County.

Two firemen were injured on scene, which is something the Linn County Sheriff told us does not happen often.

The Central City Fire Chief told us a fireman from Alburnett fell inside the garage, hurting his leg.

He was taken to the hospital.

A Central City fireman was also injured when his finger was bit by the family dog at the home.

He was treated on scene and able to return to work.

Both the camper and the house are total losses.

 "This close to the holidays it's a tragic event a person would lose their possessions and also their home, but it looks like other than one person having smoke inhalation injuries that he was treated for, is being treated for, and then of course the two firemen that were injured, things probably could have been worse," said Brian Gardner, the Linn County Sheriff.

Two people were living in the camper where the fire started, two people lived in the camper as well.

Everyone was able to escape, but one person was sent to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.

The Central City Fire Chief tells us the dog that caused the bite had received it's shots about a week ago.

He believes the dog was trying to protect his home at the time of the bite.

The fire is being investigated by the Central City Fire Department and the Linn County Sheriff's Office.

Authorities believe the fire started in the camper before spreading to the house.

Powered by Frankly