UPDATE: Space heater starts Dubuque fire - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

UPDATE: Space heater starts Dubuque fire

Posted: Updated:
DUBUQUE (KWWL) -

A chilly Sunday morning...Dubuque firefighters are putting out a fire in a garage caused by a space heater. 

"A gentleman said he started up a space heater and then went into the house, came out a short time later and noticed the house on fire...actually it was a passerby that notified him," said assistant fire chief for the Dubuque Fire Department Cal Motsch.

It happened on the 1200 block of Kelly Lane shortly before 10 a.m

The fire broke out in the detached garage.  

The owner, Robert Cadigan uses it as his woodworking shop. 

The owner says a turbo heater is the cause.

A turbo heater is an air heater that is typically used in garages, workshops or on  construction job sites. 

With the weather getting colder, fire investigators say people must use precautions when using any type of space heaters.

"It was too  close to combustibles...started the combustibles on fire, so just need to be careful with space heaters anywhere that you use them," said Motsch.

Officials also say  don't leave space heaters unattended.

Fortunately, no one was injured but pretty much everything inside garage is damaged, including the owners precious wood works. 

The fire is under investigation. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

PREVIOUS:

The Dubuque Fire Department responded to a detached garage fire on the 1200 block of Kelly Lane at about 9:45 a.m. Sunday.

 Firefighters believe the fire was started by a space heater.

The owner of the home, Robert Cadigan uses the garage as a woodworking shop.

No one was injured but there is damage to the garage and items inside.

Officials are investigating.

KWWL's Shirley Descorbeth contributed to this report. 

Powered by Frankly