Fire in Apartment Complex - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Neighbor comes to rescue during fire

Posted: Updated:
WATERLOO (KWWL) -

A neighbor comes to the rescue when an apartment catches fire.

This all happened around 3:00 a.m. in Waterloo along Wildwood Road.

Firefighters tell us a man was cooking and started a fire. There was a lot of smoke and he became trapped in the apartment.

Before firefighters could get there, a neighbor stepped in.

"Before we got here a young man from a neighboring apartment that used to live in there crawled through a window and led this handicapped person out of the burning apartment through a window. He did a good job. I don't know that he saved his life, but he certainly did a heroic deed going through the smoke and pulling him out," a firefighter said.

The man had to go to the hospital due to all the smoke he took in, but he is expected to be OK.

Powered by Frankly