UPDATE: Tyler Sash reveals "no acute trauma" - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

UPDATE: Tyler Sash reveals "no acute trauma"

Posted: Updated:

The Office of the State Medical Examiner says there was "no acute trauma" to former Iowa Hawkeyes defensive back Tyler Sash.

The autopsy, which was performed on the 27-year-old's body today, did not lead examiners to a cause or manner of death. Further investigation and additional laboratory testing will need to be done.

The Oskaloosa Police Department says emergency services were called to the 700 block of Fox Run Drive around 10:00 a.m. Tuesday to a report of an unresponsive male, later identified as 27-year-old Tyler Jordan Sash.  No foul play is suspected.

A weekly media availability with Iowa Hawkeye head coach Kirk Ferentz, scheduled for Tuesday afternoon, was postponed to Wednesday "Due to a private issue regarding the Iowa football program, unrelated to game preparation," according to Iowa Sports Information Director Steve Roe.

Coach Ferentz issued a statement on Sash's passing later in the day.

According to the University of Iowa, Tyler Sash had 37 career starts as a Hawkeye. He holds the Iowa career record and ranks fourth all-time in the Big Ten with 393 interception return yards.  He shares the Iowa single-game record with three interceptions in a 35-3 victory over the Iowa State Cyclones.

Sash also played professionally, leaving college a year early.  As a member of the New York Giants he earned a Super Bowl ring during the team's run to Super Bowl XLVI.

In July 2012, Sash was suspended from the NFL for four games for violating the league's performance enhancing drug policy.

Sash admitted he legally took Adderall, prescribed under a doctor's care for an anxiety condition to help him with public speaking appearances.

He was cut from the Giants in August 2013, yet continued the Tyler Sash Foundation which focused serving his hometown of Oskaloosa.
#GBNB encouraged others to "Get Better, Not Bitter.  A daily reminder that your attitude can influence more than you can imagine."

In May 2014 Sash was tased and arrested in his hometown of Oskaloosa after driving a scooter over the legal limit for alcohol.

He admitted to drinking while driving, but later pleaded not guilty to public intoxication and interference with official acts.

The Oskaloosa Police Department says more information about Sash's death will be released following an autopsy.

According to his Twitter account, Sash had just celebrated a year anniversary with his girlfriend.

Eric Page contributed to this report.

Powered by Frankly