Family says home is a total loss after an early morning fire - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Family says home is a total loss after an early morning fire

Posted: Updated:

Area firefighters had an early morning wake up call to a house fire, in the Cedar County town of Mechanicsville.

The fire happened around 4 a.m. in the 100 block of West Second Street.

The owners told me they have nothing left but the clothes on their back and a cell phone.

Assistant Fire Chief for Mechanicsville, Matt Shields told me the mom, son and dog that were sleeping inside at the time, made it out safely.

The owners told me they just barely made it out.

Firemen responded within ten minutes after being paged about a porch fire.

Shields told me when they arrived, the porch was engulfed and the fire had already spread to the second story of the home.

Family members believe the porch is where the fire started.

The owners say they are happy to be safe, but they lost many other things they consider irreplaceable.

The husband of the woman who owns the home passed away a few years ago and his family says he was quite the handyman.

They told me he enclosed their front porch so they could sit outside any time of year.

He also installed the fireplace and put the siding on the home.

One thing he built, their garage, was left undamaged.

Powered by Frankly