UPDATE: Family of 7 watched Center Point home burn - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

UPDATE: Family of 7 watched Center Point home burn

Posted: Updated:
Crews put out a fire at a home in Center Point on Wednesday, Aug. 12, 2015. (Justin Andrews, KWWL) Crews put out a fire at a home in Center Point on Wednesday, Aug. 12, 2015. (Justin Andrews, KWWL)
CENTER POINT (KWWL) -

Hours after a fire swallowed Kieth Moyer's home Wednesday afternoon, he's thankful to firefighters.

“Glad everybody got out without getting hurt,” said Moyer, who owns the Center Point home. “Not much left in there.”

Not many possessions left, but all seven people living in the Center Point home were able to stand and share what they saw with KWWL as they watched their home burn.

“It couldn't been a lot worse,” said Tanner Albright who lives in the home. “The entire house could've collapsed there could have been a major fire that could have spread to the backyard where everybody else was swimming when the fire broke out. I don't have any place to stay right now.”

Fire crews tell us the family, including two kids was in the back yard swimming when they noticed smoke and flames then called 911.

Center Point Fire got the call just after 2 p.m. to the home on Summit Street and two hours after the fire broke out, fire crews were still working to put out hot spots.

Fire hoses were spread throughout Summit Street.

Colonel John Stuelke with the Linn County Sheriff's Department says more than 25 firefighters from about seven area departments tirelessly worked to contain the fire.

“It appears there's extensive damage to the house. At this point I wouldn't call it a total loss,” said Stuelke

The American Red Cross responded to assist the family.

Keith and Joetta Moyer says they do have home insurance. 

-----

More than 20 firefighters were still putting out hot spots Wednesday afternoon from a Center Point house fire.

KWWL's Justin Andrews is at the scene and said seven people, including children, were outside of the house swimming when the house caught fire.

No one was injured in the fire.

Amie Steffeneicher contributed to this story.

Powered by Frankly