UPDATE: 1 dead, 1 hospitalized after carbon monoxide poisoning - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

UPDATE: 1 dead, 1 hospitalized after carbon monoxide poisoning

Posted: Updated:
Cole Haan, 18, of Epworth, died after being overcome by carbon monoxide in this Dodge Durango over the weekend. Cole Haan, 18, of Epworth, died after being overcome by carbon monoxide in this Dodge Durango over the weekend.
DELAWARE COUNTY (KWWL) -

Cole Haan, the teen that died Monday morning from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning, was a senior at Cascade High School.

"First thing about Cole, he was a fine young man, a good, good person," said Greg Vander Lugt, Cascade's Principal. "Someone you could rely on for help if you needed it. Cole was in the military, he had been through his basic training already, and was going back from more advanced training this summer. He was going on to college--he'd been accepted to Gonzaga on the coast, and he was heavily into our music program."

Vander Lugt said extra counselors were on hand Monday to help students deal with the tragic loss of their classmate.

"We're doing well, considering the circumstances," he said.

Meanwhile, Nichole Lucas, a student at Maquoketa Valley High School, is in good condition, and continues to improve.

The two were dating, and were finishing up a date Saturday night when they were both overcome by the carbon monoxide.

A neighbor saw the car had been idling for a long time and contacted a local sheriff's deputy.  One eyewitness said she saw them performing CPR and saw an IV in one of the teens.

----------------------------------

PREVIOUS STORY:

An Epworth man is dead and a Manchester teen was hospitalized after both were found unresponsive in a running vehicle this weekend.

The Delaware County Sheriff says Cole Haan, 18, of Epworth died Monday morning.

The other victim, Nichole Lucas, 17, remains in the hospital and is improving.

Sheriff John LeClere says the two victims were sitting in Haan's 1999 Dodge Durango near Maquoketa Valley High School while it was running Saturday night.

LeClere says the exhaust pipe was broken, allowing exhaust fumes to enter the SUV.

The sheriff says the two victims were apparently overcome by carbon monoxide.

----------------------------------

PREVIOUS STORY:

Two people were found unresponsive in a running vehicle late Saturday night near Maquoketa Valley High School.

A Delaware County deputy was notified of a vehicle that had been running for more than an hour in the same spot with loud exhaust around 11:30 p.m. Saturday.

Upon checking, the deputy found two people inside the locked car that were unresponsive. Entry was made and first aid was administered.

Both victims, Cole Haan, 18, of Epworth, and Nichole Lucas, 17, of Manchester, were transported to the Regional Medical Center in Manchester. They were then taken by air to the University of Iowa Hospitals in Iowa City.

During the investigation, it was determined that the vehicle's exhaust system had several defects.

According to the Delaware County Sheriff's Office, it's believed Haan and Lucas were victims of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning.

KWWL's Jerry Gallagher and Brad Hanson contributed to this story.

Powered by Frankly