Vermin damaged wires may have caused Dubuque fire - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Vermin damaged wires may have caused Dubuque fire

Posted: Updated:
  • KWWL.com LinksMore>>

  • Dubuque News

    Dubuque News

    Local news and information for Dubuque, Dyersville, Epworth, Peosta, Cascade, Farley, Asbury, Balltown, Luxemburg, New Vienna, Holy Cross, Durango, Sherrill, Dubuque County and the Tri-States area.More >>
    Local news and information for Dubuque, Dyersville, Epworth, Peosta, Cascade, Farley, Asbury, Balltown, Luxemburg, New Vienna, Holy Cross, Durango, Sherrill, Dubuque County and the Tri-States area.More >>
DUBUQUE (KWWL) -

Vermin may be to blame for Dubuque's latest house fire.

The house on Cherry Street that caught fire Tuesday night, may have been caused by wires that were damaged by vermin combining with moisture from rainfall, said Mark Burkle, Dubuque's Fire Marshal.

Dave Haas, the house's resident for the past 22 years, said he was out when the fire started.

"I came home around 8:15 at night. We came around the corner down off of Finley Street, and I saw flames on the front porch. It's one of the worst feelings you can have," Haas said.

Despite the damage done to his house, which was largely confined to the front porch and attic area, Haas said he's lucky.

"It looks worse than I thought it was going to be, but it could be a lot worse. So, actually we're lucky, compared to a lot of people whose house didn't make it as good as ours did," he said.

Haas said it will take them 2-3 months to clean up the house and make it livable again. He also said there weren't smoke detectors in his house before--he said there will be now.

"If it had happened while we were sleeping, it could've been a lot worse."

Powered by Frankly