Police: Remains of Burlington man missing since 2012 found - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Police: Remains of Burlington man missing since 2012 found

Posted: Updated:
BURLINGTON (AP) -

Authorities say skeletal remains found last month in woods behind a Burlington grocery store are those of a 49-year-old man missing since September 2012.

The Burlington Police Department says autopsy results and personal items found in clothing on the remains identified the man as Alfredo Rodriguez. The cause of death is undetermined, pending further examinations.

Rodriguez had been living with his daughter and her family in Burlington. Maria Gonzalez told The Hawk Eye that she is heartbroken by the news of her father's death, but "at least we know he is at peace."

Authorities say Rodriguez borrowed $20 from a friend on Sept. 15, 2012, and said he was going for a walk. His remains were found on Jan. 22, nearly 2½ years later.

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by Frankly