Cedar Rapids laundromat fire blamed on spontaneous heating - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Cedar Rapids laundromat fire blamed on spontaneous heating

Posted: Updated:
CEDAR RAPIDS (KWWL) - A weekend fire at a Cedar Rapids Laundromat is being blamed on spontaneous heating of aprons and rags.

Firefighters were called to the Soapy Waters Laundromat, 808 6th Street SW, at 12:55 p.m. Saturday for a dryer on fire.

When crews arrived, they found smoke in the building and a dryer filled with smoke.

Investigators say the dryer was filled with aprons and rags from a local restaurant that had animal fats or other substances that can spontaneously combust.

Some aprons and rags were burned, but the dryer itself had some minor damage.

Powered by Frankly