Child playing with lighter causes fire - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Child playing with lighter causes fire

Posted: Updated:
  • KWWL.com LinksMore>>

  • Dubuque News

    Dubuque News

    Local news and information for Dubuque, Dyersville, Epworth, Peosta, Cascade, Farley, Asbury, Balltown, Luxemburg, New Vienna, Holy Cross, Durango, Sherrill, Dubuque County and the Tri-States area.More >>
    Local news and information for Dubuque, Dyersville, Epworth, Peosta, Cascade, Farley, Asbury, Balltown, Luxemburg, New Vienna, Holy Cross, Durango, Sherrill, Dubuque County and the Tri-States area.More >>
DUBUQUE (KWWL) -

Dubuque Fire Marshal Mark Burkle said the cause of the second fire in as many months at the Sheridan Village Apartments was a 4-year-old playing with a lighter in bed.

"We've done some investigating to rule out any criminal activity," he said. "But at this point we can say the cause of the fire was the 4-year-old with a lighter in bed."

Crews responded to the call of a fire around 6:30 p.m. Sunday night.

Karen Langas, manager of the apartment complex, said a family of one mother and two girls were living in the apartment where the fire started.  Their apartment is uninhabitable, she said, but it's the only one.  She said there is minor water damage in another apartment.

No one was injured in the fire, although one person was taken to the hospital for an unrelated medical condition.

Langas said she will be collecting gift cards for the family.  She can be reached at 563-557-7706.

Powered by Frankly