Welding student burned, experts discuss safety - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Welding student burned, experts discuss safety

Posted: Updated:
P - WELDING INJURIES 10.jpg P - WELDING INJURIES 10.jpg

A student in a welding class at Hawkeye Community College was burned Tuesday, according to officials.

The victim was taken to Covenant Medical Center in Waterloo, then transported to the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City.

The name and condition of the victim have not been released, pending notification of family, according to Kathy Flynn at Hawkeye.

"We have a campus safety team that's interviewing students that were in the vicinity, including staff members," Flynn said.

Joel Cizek, co-owner of C&C Welding & Sandblasting in Waterloo, said he's no stranger to burns while welding.

"You kind of get used to them," he said, noting that most burns are minor.

He said accidents happen, but he tries to prevent them.

"Sometimes you maybe forget and do things you shouldn't," he said. "You can never be too careful if you see something dangerous, correct it right away. Don't say we'll do it later."

Cizek said good work gloves, and facemask, and protective clothing are crucial to a safe work environment. He also insists that tanks and hoses for gas be well-maintained.

But, he said the scariest thing in an accident can be a bad clothing choice.

"One of the worst things you see people wearing are insulated sweatshirts with the rubber inside," he said. "If they catch fire, the rubber burns right onto the skin."

Powered by Frankly