Dog alerts homeowner to Thanksgiving morning fire - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Dog alerts homeowner to Thanksgiving morning fire

Posted: Updated:
CEDAR FALLS (KWWL) - A homeowner in Cedar Falls is thankful for their dog this Thanksgiving after it saved them from a fire.

At 5:39 a.m. Cedar Falls firefighters responded to a report of a fire at 4407 Zircon Ln. at the Five Season Mobile Home Park.

Within 4 minutes, the first crews arrived to find a home with flames showing from underneath it. The fire quickly extended into the home and involved most of the interior of the home.

Even with outside temperatures around 7 degrees, crews were able to put the fire out.

At the time of the fire the home owner was asleep. The home did not have any working smoke detectors. The homeowner's dog was able to alert the sleeping owner and both were able to escape without injury. “Having working smoke detectors in every home is not just a recommendation, it should be as essential as having running water in your home” said John Schilling Fire Chief for Cedar Falls. If not for the owner's dog, not having working smoke detectors could have been the difference between life and death.

Across the Nation Thanksgiving day is known as one of the busiest for fire departments. Regardless of what causes a fire, a homeowner's first line of defense is working smoke detectors.

The home is a total loss. The fire is still under investigation.

Powered by Frankly