Waterloo Fire Department stresses space heater safety - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Waterloo Fire Department stresses space heater safety

Posted: Updated:
  • KWWL.com LinksMore>>

  • NEWS

    NEWS

    NEWS

    Local, breaking news for eastern Iowa. We've got you covered with newsrooms in Waterloo, Dubuque, Cedar Rapids and Iowa City. Click here for breaking news on-air, online and on-the-go.

    More >>

    Local, breaking news for eastern Iowa. We've got you covered with newsrooms in Waterloo, Dubuque, Cedar Rapids and Iowa City. Click here for breaking news on-air, online and on-the-go.

    More >>
WATERLOO (KWWL) -

There's a good chance you're using a space heater to help warm up your home, but those little heaters are more of a hazard then you may think. 

According to Waterloo Fire and Rescue battalion chief, Mike Moore space heaters caused 60,000 house fires and 500 deaths nationwide.

Moore says it's important to put a space heater in a open area, away from everything. 

He says sometimes it isn't the heater itself that can ignite, instead the cord or cords used to plug it in.


"
They draw so much electricity that if you use an extension cord with it their cord can overheat and cause a fire. Which is not from the elements of the heater but because of the cord overheating," said Moore.

Moore says it's a good rule of thumb to keep the heater three feet away from anything all the way around the heater.



 


Powered by Frankly