Des Moines East forfeit overturned - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Des Moines East forfeit overturned

Posted: Updated:
DES MOINES (KWWL) -  The game never happened, and now that's what the record books will now reflect.

Last week the Iowa High School Athletic Association gave Des Moines East 3 options for their game with Ames: play it on Saturday in daylight, move it to Ames, or forfeit. This came after Ames refused to travel to Des Moines for the game due to an unsubstantiated threat of gun violence on social media. The Scarlets chose to forfeit.

Prior to what would have been Friday's game time, Des Moines Police told officials at the Des Moines Public Schools the threat was not credible.

Following outrage from the school and several members of the public, the IHSAA has decided to wipe away the Des Moines East forfeit. The game is now considered "no contest" and won't be reflected on either school's records.

"While it was impossible to correct this situation – namely, turning back the clock and playing the game last Friday – this is at least a half step forward to remedy this situation and move on," said Tom Ahart, superintendent of Des Moines Public Schools. "It's unfortunate that this situation was created in the first place, but I appreciate that the IHSAA recognized the directive they made last week was wrong and are bringing some measure of fairness to East High School and their students."

Des Moines East was also given the opportunity to play the game on Tuesday, but declined as they will be playing for a a play-off spot on Friday in Sioux City and felt the short turn-around would put them at a disadvantage.


Powered by Frankly